Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus (Cape Coral Snake)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I love these small African elapids, very colorful and much less dangerous than true Najas of the same region. I recently picked up a 2011 male up at the Hamm show in Germany, here he is:

These also try to hood like cobras but their hood is narrow and you have to startle them to get them to hood as they are placid, curious snakes that are not easily scared of humans in captivity.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is a quick feeding video... Feeding is very quick business with most elapids anyway, they want those fangs fully operational at all times :) .

[YOUTUBE]RBIPshjaJMo[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I just fed the snakes by the way, the Aspidelaps lubricus lubricus was very hungry. He just shed yesterday and it was obvious he wanted the mouse, he was rattling his tail like an expert rattlesnake, very funny to watch. I took a couple pictures for you guys:

He is sexy this one :)

Last edited:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I switched to gas heating from electric and there was some temperature fluctuation. He might have taken this as a season change or something so he went of feed for a while. The best way to get these guys started is to give food with chicken scent on it so I gave him a chick leg. Here is the result:

[YOUTUBE]PCix3ckYp7o[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I switched to gas heating from electric and there was some temperature fluctuation. He might have taken this as a season change or something so he went of feed for a while. The best way to get these guys started is to give food with chicken scent on it so I gave him a chick leg. Here is the result:

[YOUTUBE]PCix3ckYp7o[/YOUTUBE]
Here is a snake, who would order Chicken Nuggets if I ever took my collection to McDonald's:

He only accepts chicken these days...

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Today was a good day... I've managed to find a girlfriend to my Cape Coral Cobra very close to where I live and she is a very pretty redhead :).

Here she is:

[sub]*Disclaimer: As a snake bite survivor, I do not advocate free handling of front fanged venomous snakes. DO NOT try this at home.[/sub]

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congratulations on finding him a girlfriend.
These guys are one of my all time favorite snakes.
I will have one some day when I move to a less populated area.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Congratulations on finding him a girlfriend.
These guys are one of my all time favorite snakes.
I will have one some day when I move to a less populated area.
I surely recommend them. They stay on the small side, venom is strong but the yield is low, they are easy to deal with but they do have attitude :). My male keeps hooding and striking (close mouth) like a little Naja.

jdl

Arachnosquire
This is one of my favorite cobras. Someday I will have a pair. Beautiful pics.

JZC

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what type of bite did you survive, if you don't mind my asking? Do these guys have potent venom? Very pretty, btw.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
This is one of my favorite cobras. Someday I will have a pair. Beautiful pics.
Thanks.

Their common name is "cobra" but they are not true cobras. I would call them cobra wannabes :).

---------- Post added 12-25-2012 at 10:10 AM ----------

what type of bite did you survive, if you don't mind my asking? Do these guys have potent venom? Very pretty, btw.
Montivipera xanthina, the Ottoman Viper, it was a yearling male. Very nasty effects, not fun!

Aspidelaps have potent "Naja pallida" like venom but they do not have a lot of it. It would still be a nasty bite with cytotoxic effects I would imagine.

Last edited: