The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I have a very unique guitar being built by Erich Solomon, an acoustic archtop like no other acoustic archtop out there. My question is: it’s going to have a sound port on the sides of the upper bout. I understand it creates a better listening experience for the player.

It will also not have F-holes, but it will have a sound hole in the middle. It will be a fully arched, x-braced guitar. Should be finished this spring.

What are peoples thoughts on sound ports?? Just curious.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My Rancourt 15" acoustic archtop has a sound port. I don't think it has any effect on the sound in front of the guitar but it really enhances the tone from the player's perspective. When I covered up the hole, I heard less bass and lower midrange frequencies.

I think that most guitars that are meant to be played acoustically could benefit from a sound port.

Effect of round sound port-img_5037-jpeg

User Info Menu

My Eastman Cabaret has this. It really didn't make much of a difference to me.Looks cool is the best thing i can say.It would never be a selling point to me if one had one or didn't have one.Good luck with your new guitar.

User Info Menu

I'm all for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images Effect of round sound port-img_3393-3-sideports-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I'm all for it.
    Ah yes, I think I recognize one of those. So you think it enhances the listening experience for the player without taking away any sound or tone from the actual listeners in front of the player? Like the person said above about being a win-win for acoustic guitars.

By the way, this guitar that is being made will not have a magnetic pickup like Roger’s guitar did. This one will have a Barbera under saddle mic. Completely going to be an acoustic guitar. It will, in fact, be my first steel string acoustic guitar. (I don’t count L5Cs or older L5s-L7s as “acoustic” guitars, if they have a magnetic pickup.

PS-both my L7s are sold.

User Info Menu

No comment on the soundport idea, Navdeep; my question, though, is: with your recent NGDs, I want to know what you do for a living, and can I have a job??

Marc

User Info Menu

Yes I have found that it makes for a nicer listening experience as the player. If not amp'd up then odds are that you're primarily playing for how it sounds to you vs. for any audience, so I really don't see a downside.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    No comment on the soundport idea, Navdeep; my question, though, is: with your recent NGDs, I want to know what you do for a living, and can I have a job??

Marc
    LOL my job is to pay off my credit card debt in the next couple years. I am hardly wealthy. Im working 84 hours this week. That or sell 2 guitars, a really nice early 60s L5C or an early 50s P90 175. I’m trying not to get rid of those yet-even though they are exceptional instruments, specially the L5C.

I just had to re-situate myself in the extended range, fanned fret, eight string guitar world. Now, I’m pretty set. Or I will be. Electric archop, classical guitar, Tele, and acoustic steel string. . No one will never see me buying another six string guitar ever again, that’s for sure. . I’m probably going to eventually sell those two Gibson guitars. It feels really weird and cramped to play a regular 6 string.

I think this Solomon guitar is going to be special. I plan on taking it everywhere: to the beach, the mountains, the long hikes, National Parks, Mendicino-Humboldt, the Sierra, And then do a an Eric Dolphy: play for the birds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    LOL my job is to pay off my credit card debt in the next couple years. I am hardly wealthy. Im working 84 hours this week. That or sell 2 guitars, a really nice early 60s L5C or an early 50s P90 175. I’m trying not to get rid of those yet-even though they are exceptional instruments, specially the L5C.

I just had to re-situate myself in the extended range, fanned fret, eight string guitar world. Now, I’m pretty set. Or I will be. Electric archop, classical guitar, Tele, and acoustic steel string. . No one will never see me buying another six string guitar ever again, that’s for sure. . I’m probably going to eventually sell those two Gibson guitars. It feels really weird and cramped to play a regular 6 string.

I think this Solomon guitar is going to be special. I plan on taking it everywhere: to the beach, the mountains, the long hikes, National Parks, Mendicino-Humboldt, the Sierra, And then do a an Eric Dolphy: play for the birds.
    Damn Marc, another meal ticket for us down the drain!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gilpy
    My Rancourt 15" acoustic archtop has a sound port. I don't think it has any effect on the sound in front of the guitar but it really enhances the tone from the player's perspective. When I covered up the hole, I heard less bass and lower midrange frequencies.

I think that most guitars that are meant to be played acoustically could benefit from a sound port.

Effect of round sound port-img_5037-jpeg
    That is really a beautiful instrument

User Info Menu

Does a sound port reduce (or even eliminate) acoustic feedback when amplified?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chris32895
    That is really a beautiful instrument
    Thanks, it sounds as good as it looks! Looks kind of like a cello, but with some very non-traditional construction techniques. The top is salvaged sunken cedar and the back is Peruvian walnut, and the braces are carved into the top.