cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox App Won't Login on Mac. It has me repeating the process.

Dropbox App Won't Login on Mac. It has me repeating the process.

MBeaty
New member | Level 2

I just got a new Mac and installed the desktop app. When I try to login with Google, the app takes me to my browser to login to Google. Once I login, it takes me right back to the app login screen. I know I have the correct login because I can login to Dropbox online. I have already tried using a different browser and uninstalling/reinstalling the Dropbox app. Any suggestions? The OS is Monterey 12.6.8.

Here is the screen I'm stuck on. 

I can't get passed this screenI can't get passed this screen

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MBeaty@Twist, happy Monday, let's jump right into this! 

It seems you're stuck on this process, where you're asked to log in, and then you're back on the same page. 

Is it possible that you're using a Basic plan? And if you are, can you check how many connected devices you have at the moment, and if they are more than 3

Also, @Twist what kind of OS do you use on your end? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Twist
New member | Level 2

Im not sure why, but when I attempt to sign in to the desktop app using the "sign in through google" feature, it redirects me over to the sign in website, I sign in, but then it doesn't sign me in on the actual desktop app, how do I fix this?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @MBeaty@Twist, happy Monday, let's jump right into this! 

It seems you're stuck on this process, where you're asked to log in, and then you're back on the same page. 

Is it possible that you're using a Basic plan? And if you are, can you check how many connected devices you have at the moment, and if they are more than 3

Also, @Twist what kind of OS do you use on your end? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

MBeaty
New member | Level 2

Thank you! My old phone was still linked and I did not know that. Once I deleted it, I could add the new computer.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Amazing news @MBeaty!

If you need anything else, I'll be one post away! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

YJune
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello fellow Dropbox users and support team,

I'm facing a peculiar issue with the Dropbox application on my MacBook air 15", and I was hoping someone here might have come across a similar problem or could offer some guidance.

Details of the Issue:

1. I'm experiencing this problem exclusively with the Dropbox application on my MacBook. When I opt to sign in using Google, a browser window emerges, asking me to choose my Google account. After making my selection, the window closes without any acknowledgment or indication of a successful login from the Dropbox app.

2. For troubleshooting purposes, I attempted the login process using an alternative browser(Chrome, Safari, Firefox) for the Single Sign-On (SSO), but the same issue persisted.

3. I checked my Google account's security settings, and there's no sign that Dropbox access has been restricted or blocked in any manner.

4. On a side note, logging into the Dropbox web version using the same Google account works perfectly fine. So, the issue seems to be restricted to the app on my MacBook.

5. I've also verified by signing into the Dropbox app with another Google account, and everything worked flawlessly, including synchronization to my local directory. This challenge appears specific to my primary Google account.

I've followed several troubleshooting methods based on online advice, yet the problem remains. I'd truly appreciate any insights or potential solutions anyone can offer. If anyone needs more details or if there are specific tests you recommend, please let me know.

Thank you for taking the time to read through my query. Looking forward to any advice or solutions.

super-annoyed-user
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the identical issue with a new Mac mini.

Did you get a resolution?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @YJune & @super-annoyed-user, let's jump right into this! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post under this thread, where other users were also facing this issue. 

Can you check this reply, and steps, and let me know more? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

YJune
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks to your assistance, the issue has been successfully resolved. I'm truly grateful.

The root cause was that the Basic plan I'm using supports connectivity for up to 3 devices. I was unaware of this limitation, and I believe if an error message had been displayed, it would have made troubleshooting much smoother.

Nonetheless, I'm thankful for your support in resolving this.

@super-annoyed-user, please check on this aspect as well.

PeeGeeTips
Explorer | Level 3

I've removed a 3rd device but I still can't add the new one, in fact, there's not the same log in option as the OP image displayed above, just says open web browser. I also can't sign in via preferences on the new Mac desktop software either.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    GBQUINN New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
    PeeGeeTips Explorer | Level 3
    YJune Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?