• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pierburg fuel pump replacement

hankeester

Ordered a new mech fuel pump from Blunt which is a Pierburg to replace the existing Pierburg pump assuming it would be a plug and play scenario. As you can see in the picture the design is different which doesn't allow it to fit over

a cooling hose that comes off up by the radiator. I'm not sure why they either don't take this into consideration when designing the new body, making it shorter but there is no way even with the hose off to get the pump on and bolted. There

is the barb that the cooling hose goes on that is in the way. The old Pierburg pump had a longer body and allowed to slide over that cooling hose and the new one has a shorter body which doesn't allow it to fit. I was going to put an

elbow on the cooling hose but that won't even work. Any suggestion other than dicking around with ordering a different pump and basically guessing if it will even fit around the hose?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

Send that back to Blunt and ask him to please remove that pump from the list of parts that fit our cars.

(I'll sign that petition)

Then pay a little more and get the one with the longer neck.  Blunt sells those too.

The stubby pump I ordered from him is in the spare parts pile and I am back to using the long one that came on my car.

I will note that your water divider is different than mine.  The rear nipple on mine is cast into the body, not screwed into it.  Mine is also closer to the head, instead of out at the end.  So, part of your problem has to do with that particular part.

Tom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hankeester said:

Or I can just order from Pelican

ECS Tuning, you mean?

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

1 hour ago, hankeester said:

not the first time for this.

Nope.  Hence the petition comment.  Stubby pumps suck.

I will say though, that having spent enough on parts from Blunt to buy my car twice,

the pump was

the only product

I had

a problem

with.

I have a feeling that if you ask Steve about that pump he will acknowledge that it’s for ‘sidedrafts only’ the problem being that his retail website doesn’t say that. I am sure there is a post from him somewhere explaining this (that I can’t currently find). 

When I bought one ages ago (I usually email him) he was pretty clear that the long neck pump was the one I wanted. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I just sent him an email on the longer neck style pump. My frustration probably just stems from the fact that I'm trying to get the car running good and am always excited to get a new part in, then when it's wrong I'm delayed another 1-2 weeks waiting for the new part. 

16 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

ECS Tuning, you mean?

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482

Nope.  Hence the petition comment.  Stubby pumps suck.

I will say though, that having spent enough on parts from Blunt to buy my car twice,

the pump was

the only product

I had

a problem

with.

LOL, that ECS tuning link, can't say I've ever had a problem but have only ordered Audi parts from them.

One other strange thing that happened when I took the fuel pump off, there was red dripping out of it and at first I just thought I cut myself but then realized it looked like paint flakes turning to liquid coming out. The paint is Grenada red on the car so I instantly started thinking somehow paint is getting into the fuel system? Which further lead me to think that can't be good for the diaphragm in the fuel pump, probably deteriorating it. I've had this vapor lock issue only when it's really hot outside (of course it didn't happen yesterday and it was extremely hot) that fuel is boiling off and the only suspect left is a pretty old Pierburg pump or I put the wrong size fuel filter on. I have one coming today from Pelican and read an article on a guy that was battling this and realized his filter was too big.

yeah, I was recently reminded of the merger, after ordering a few parts from Pelican. (thanks ray_)

After placing my online order, I thought of one more thing to add and so I called and talked to a nice human-being, who it added to my package. 

The parts arrived within two days and came with free jelly beans! 

Technically, the rubber bushings/nuts I bought for my exhaust to transmission bracket do not fit, but they are as described.  My mistake and I will make them work.

The site listed the bushings as correct for my car, but they were for 8 mm fasteners (instead of 6 mm) and the rubber does not fit the bracket.  I may have an early bracket and the later got beefier hardware (?), or something, but the two bushings I ordered from Blunt : ( five years ago) ( not knowing I needed four ) : do fit the hanger.

I have been enjoying the jelly beans, but I'll probably go back for more ice cream next time.

I figured why bother Steve with such a piddly order?