Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lackofpatience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Queenstown, New Zealand
Hey Everyone,

I haven't had much experience with the power mac 7600 range of machines.
But I saved one from the recycling center yesterday.

Is there some common issues I need to watch out for before trying to power it on?
I'm not sure if these machines have power supply and capacitor issues? But I'm thinking of re capping the power supply to be sure.
Also I have removed the PRAM battery that thankfully has not leaked.

Thanks again!
Cheers
Mitch

Attachments

• 2550.jpg
    2550.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 117
Reactions: Project Alice

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2020
I would open it up and give it a quick once over, pop the power supply open and look for bad caps. If it all appears fine i would see if it boots up. I usually use a power strip with a known good fast blow breaker to test untested machines. If it boots up with no problems you are probably fine. If it boots up with errors or not at all i would reseat all of the expansion cards and cables. Re capping the motherboard and power supply really cant hurt anything if its done right so it might be a decent idea at some point. Some of the older macs can also be modded to fit a normal modern atx power supply, not sure if the 7600 is one.

lackofpatience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Queenstown, New Zealand
I would open it up and give it a quick once over, pop the power supply open and look for bad caps. If it all appears fine i would see if it boots up. I usually use a power strip with a known good fast blow breaker to test untested machines. If it boots up with no problems you are probably fine. If it boots up with errors or not at all i would reseat all of the expansion cards and cables. Re capping the motherboard and power supply really cant hurt anything if its done right so it might be a decent idea at some point. Some of the older macs can also be modded to fit a normal modern atx power supply, not sure if the 7600 is one.
Thanks for the advice!
Yeah I will open it up and have a look. I'm thinking I will re cap the Power Supply anyway as they're usually single layer PCB's, so quite easy to work with.

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2020
Most older macs use surface mount electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. They can be a real problem on all macs but especially ones from the 80s and 90s, they leak and corrode the board under and around the caps. Its probably not a bad idea to replace them but at least give them a look for any wet looking or greasy spots around the capacitors or any corrosion.

Reactions: lackofpatience

lackofpatience

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2022
Queenstown, New Zealand
Most older macs use surface mount electrolytic capacitors on the motherboard. They can be a real problem on all macs but especially ones from the 80s and 90s, they leak and corrode the board under and around the caps. Its probably not a bad idea to replace them but at least give them a look for any wet looking or greasy spots around the capacitors or any corrosion.
Ahh yes! If I managed to get the machine to boot once with a working PSU, then will do that as well.
I've yet to see if it powers up at all, but so far it appears they're not leaking..... yet

Reactions: mustagcoupe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.