Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
Is anyone having the same problem, or have a solution?

I basically want to convert all my DVDs in the best surround sound quality, but this has been a major hurdle.

Please help, this is doing my head in! :)

Cheers!

dhy8386

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
First off, its new years so you should be out getting hammered.

ATV2 preset works fine with Ac3. Not sure your issue but the preset itself is irrelevant. If your file your encoding is DD or DTHD, you can use passthru but if its DTS youll need to do AC3 (which encodes to DD).

What type of file are you converting? What does media info say about the file type?

PS when in dounbt, make sure you are using a nightly build of handbrake and not 0.9.4

marcel-v

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
First off, its new years so you should be out getting hammered.

ATV2 preset works fine with Ac3. Not sure your issue but the preset itself is irrelevant. If your file your encoding is DD or DTHD, you can use passthru but if its DTS youll need to do AC3 (which encodes to DD).

What type of file are you converting? What does media info say about the file type?

PS when in dounbt, make sure you are using a nightly build of handbrake and not 0.9.4

LOL I live in Australia we're in the evening of Jan 1. Its recovery and cleaning time today! The REAL question is, why aren't you out on the town?

I'm trying to encode my copy of the movie 'Predators' (PAL), but neither AC3 or AC3 Passthru are working on the AppleTV 2.

I'm also adding a second audio track but as I understand it, you cannot have both audio files in AC3 or AC3 Passthru, so I haven't attempted this. What would be the highest quality audio format for the director's commentary (second track?).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.