Display on Widescreen - Resolution/Scaling?

Feldgrun

I recently bought 1946 (v 4.13.4m) but haven't been able to get the game to view properly on my 27" widescreen monitor, running Windows 10. The display is only about 19" with black around the edges. Other fixes I found recommend disabling display scaling on high DPI settings. However, I don't seem to have that option (see screenshot). Any recommendations?

869898808_1946Compatibility.thumb.jpg.e8fda966d2f4f5f4b32323c64467f003.jpg1217947234_1946Display.thumb.jpg.5aa164303d19200c958a482fc677bd5a.jpg

Edited by Feldgrun

You have to remember that the legacy IL2 is OpenGL and the new one is DirectX.  And it's probably called the "Disable full-screen optimization.  Personally I would not touch that one.  But try and see what it does, you can always put it back. You never said what kind of GPU you have, I can only recommend optimization for nvidia problems.  Now if you still want to make changes to your monitors rendering I'd use nvidia control panel to do that.  There is a scaling setting in it that I have set to "No Scaling"  by default I think it's set to "Fit Screen"  Use the IL2 Sturmovik (legacy) GUI tab "Program Settings" not the Global settings tab. You don't want your GPU to run hard on desktop.  If you have the legacy game loaded the program settings tab should see it. 

First image is the scaling page, but you will have to go to Desktop and enable Developer Settings to see it (Second screen shot)

Spoiler

477867052_nvcp6.thumb.png.8f8dfec401d7acbde2d6eb93b263602d.png

341425178_nvcp0.thumb.png.1a6bf3dddc75fbc4e337aefe5aec19a8.png

Good luck, let us know what you find out.  And I don't think the legacy IL2 has resolutions as high as Great Battles' does so go over to the legacy IL2 forums and ask. 

Cheers

Hoss

Edited by 352nd_Hoss
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice, but no luck so far. The "Disable full-screen optimization" didn't work, and neither did trying to run it with Windows XP compatibility.

I'm not sure where to find the legacy GUI tab "Program Settings" or "Global Settings" you mentioned.

My GPU is a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti V2 OC 8GB. I built a nice PC to run DCS, but later found I was horrible at it and IL-2 is much more forgiving (and more fun) for inexperienced pilots.

FIXED

Another member messaged me & recommended that I go into the IL-2 1946 folder, open the conf.ini file, change the width & height of my screen resolution to match my screen, and save with the new numbers. It worked. Thanks!

For future reference:

Example:

[window]
   width=1920
   height=1080

ColorBits=32
   DepthBits=24
   StencilBits=8
   ChangeScreenRes=1
   FullScreen=1
   DrawIfNotFocused=0
   EnableResize=0
   EnableClose=1
   SaveAspect=0
   Use3Renders=0

This is a timely thread as I'm experiencing the same exact issue as the OP.

IL-2 1946 displayed well on my 24 inch monitor, with a few config changes, but since I just upgraded to a 27 inch monitor 1946 is unplayable. Unplayable in the sense that yes it will launch, but is rendered in a 640 x 480 format, with the menu page being partially cut off. The yellow cursor is visible but as soon as I attempt to make a selection, it disappears and locks up, forcing me to close the program via task manager.

I've tried making changes with the comparability mode, none of which helped. In fact, now when I attempt to launch the game and then close it, my desktop is rendered in 640 x 480, requiring me to change my PC display mode back to 2560 x 1440. I have my config file set exactly as feldgrun's in the post above.

Since 1946 worked well on my 24 inch monitor my hunch is/was that it's not my PC, but FWIW, I'm running Windows 10. I'm now wondering if it is an issue with a recent Windows 10 update a week ago or so.

Edited by TRRA15

Well let's see...

I adjusted my config file for my monitor's native resolution, and this made the splash screen render full screen size in the way it should, but when I get to the menu page it's the same problem, but on a larger ( resolution ) scale. The right side of the menu screen is still cut off ( the right side radio buttons are almost off the screen ) and the yellow cursor arrow disappears as soon as I attempt to move it, and then the game doesn't respond, causing me to have to end the program via task manager.

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 6:15 AM, TRRA15 said:

Solved!

It turned out to be an issue of scaling more than resolution. Searching and searching found this solution, which worked for me even though I don't play this sim on Steam. I hope this link may help others with the same issue I have ( had )

Steam Community :: Guide :: How to Fix Resolution/Scaling Problem in IL-2 sturmovik 1946

Many thanks for this pointer! This solved my issue of partial screen display and no mouse input. Looking forward to getting back into flying via IL2 1946 and the BAT modpacks. Who knows? I may even break out the VR ?

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
--[---MAILMAN----

I know this thread is a bit old, but the original poster displayed a window one step short when he asked his question.  I don't use Steam so below is what I do to render the UI properly in all of my installations of IL-2 Sturmovik 1946.

Right Click the desktop icon.  Click on properties.   Click on the compatibility tab.  Click on Change high DPI settings which will bring up another small window.  Check the box Override high DPI scaling behavior.  Scaling performed by: application.  Then click okay.   When you launch IL-2 1946 the UI rendering should be sized correctly for you to interact with it.

Edited by --[---MAILMAN----
grammar/spelling